Thursday, May 28, 2009

August 2, 1944

Pvt. C. Lowry 35925389
Casual Co. L Inf
A.P.O. 15380
%P.M.N.Y.C.

Lowry's
1439 Wick Ave
Youngstown, Ohio
U.S.A.

Passed by Ernest Edwith, 2nd Lt.

4:15 P.M.

Hi,

How are you today? I just came off guard. We were on for 24 hr. I just got back and I made myself some lemonade out of the powder in K rations.

At noon I met a veteran of World War I. It was a piece of steak and it was really tough.

We still haven't received any mail over here yet. The Lt. said maybe by the wkend but don't be disappointed if we didn't get any.

There was a piece in Stars and Stripes about Jack Rice. If they'll let it through I'll send it.

Well, I have to clean my carbine before inspection so

So long
Love,
''Chas''

Editor's note: The piece from Stars and Stripes was clipped and included. It reads, "A patrol headed by Lt. John Rice, of Youngstown, Ohio, was seeking prospective German prisoners when the men heard what appeared to be a man snoring. The men sneaked closer to a foxhole along a hedgerow. They peered in. A young pig had fallen in the foxhole and was trying to get out. Rice tried to help the porker but got his hand bit. The men stalked away in disgust."

No comments:

Post a Comment