Thursday, June 4, 2009

July 1, 1944

Pvt. C. Lowry 35925389
Co. A 29 BN 8 Regt
4 Plat. AGFRD#1
Fort George Meade, MD

Lowry's
1439 Wick Ave
Youngstown, Ohio

Hi.

It is 9:30. I just came back from the P.X. I got a Yank and had some ice cream and pop. I got my train money back today. $33.00 but no payday. I got assigned to a co. now so you can write. It is not bad here. Not too much to eat but we don't go hungry. I still haven't starting eating a lot. I got up at 5 this and went back to bed at 7 and slept till 10. I guess we'll get to at least Baltimore or Wash. over the weekend. I hope I get out at 12 Sat. and I'll come home. We don't know anything about leaving here. We are getting 2 work uniforms, 2 winter uniforms, and 1 summer uniform. We'll be here till next week at least. I still have not had a chance to look up Vaughn. Well I have to hunt a mailbox now.

So Long
Love,
''Chas''

-----
The letter explained: While the first letter didn't include a return address, Chuck now includes his assignment, being 4th Platoon, Company A, 29th Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment. Fort Meade was a very active post during World War II, hosting basic training activities and later, acting as a prisoner of war camp for German POW's. AGFRD #1 stands for Army Ground Forces Replacement Depot #1 (located at Fort Meade). This is where troops were provided uniforms, inoculated, would have had final weapons testing, and were administratively processed before being sent overseas.

When Chuck's reference to Yank refers to Yank, the Army Weekly, which was weekly magazine published by the United States military during World War II. It was similar to Stars and Stripes and was known for including a "pin-up" girl in each issue.

If you are interested in seeing more about Army uniforms during World War II, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment